Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Summary of September 2 Meeting

During the class meeting on September 2, 2015, the session began with some mentors and alumni from previous years giving a quick introduction.  Every member of the class then followed by presenting about what they learned from reading previous reports or findings and what sparked their interests in the Spartan Superway project. The sharing of ideas provided students with the opportunities to figure out which part of the project they wanted to focus on specifically.  After each student completed their short speeches, the mentors commented on how the presentations went and then directed the attention to the event planner who gave the announcements for the upcoming events.  After the announcements, the class was given a tour of the facility.  The students were then allowed to pick a focus in which they were interested in. General areas included the 12th scale model and the large scale model.

Of the focuses available, I chose to join the large scale model subgroup.  The reason I chose the large scale model subgroup was due to my interest on working on the bogie mechanism.  I believe working on the bogie mechanism would enable me to learn more about mechanical design.  I am also very intrigued with how the team will be able to incorporate a fail safe mechanism that meets the safety regulations.  Another project category I would like to work on is designing the cabin.  The concept appears to be of interest and enriching.

After splitting off into our groups, we divided the large scale model group into two smaller groups. One group would work on the suspensions while the other focused on the bogie.  I chose to work on the bogie and then got to meet others who share the same interest and will likely be my group.  With the remaining time, we exchanged ideas and talked about restraints we would have to take into account when working on design ideas.  The discussion was stimulating and productive for me. It encouraged me to look more into other fail mechanisms to see how they work.

No comments:

Post a Comment